“The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.” – Maya Angelou
The Fresh Fruit Festival, now in its 19th consecutive year, is requesting works in the following format for development in filmed virtual presentation: LGBTQ MONOLOGUES, on the THEME: “The Ache for Home”
Do you FEEL at home? ARE you home? WHERE is home, and how did you get there? Did your character get to Home Base? Whose Homecoming is it anyway? Are you Home on the Range? -the City? -the Planet?
Works must be 2 to 4 minutes in performance length, and relate to the LGBTQ experience. Works may be stand-alone, or part of a larger piece (but work as a self-contained excerpt). Eight written monologues will be chosen by curators , to be resubmitted as digitized short films for entry into the development program. All of these will receive:
- Hosted presentation of the finished works.
- PDF Program, for download.
- Basic Audio Post-processing: Including our own, customized intros; basic sound FX or ambient sound. (No music unless you guarantee rights, or solo perf of public domain)
- Basic Video editing (of standard formats), for continuity & scene shaping.
- Marketing on Social media.
- Two assisted tech consults: For SOUND (check balance, dynamic range, ambient problems, clarity, mic use) and for VIDEO (placement, ambiance, and setting). Note: Applicants are advised to send us a draft version of your video file in advance of these.
All 8 semi-finalist films will be hosted in a high-definition platform for a set span of 1 to 2 weeks, during which the public will be free to vote for a later audience choice award. A panel of judges will also be voting on more technical criteria to help select 3 finalists. All 3 will receive a cash stipend, and be eligible for awards in several categories at our annual award ceremony, later in the season.
Final, filmed, submissions should be: Rehearsed, stage managed, and directed specifically for intended virtual presentation; Have appropriate costuming; Have some attempt at “setting” – however simple.
TIMELINE: Written submissions due by JULY 23; Semi-finalists announced AUGUST 4. By end of August Semi-finalists will be presented online. Click on Apply button when ready to send a written draft. (Please apply once only; you can always send revisions etc. by email). Thanks! APPLICATION FORM